Thursday, April 4, 2013

BOM2 Block #1

OK....so I wanted to make my BOM2 blocks with scraps.  But...how do you define scraps?
Well, I buy designer fabrics most of the time, so if there is a scrap 1" wide after I cut, it goes into the :small" scrap bin, if it i large enough to be used again it gets folded back in with the large piece of fabric.  Why do you save such small scraps? I get asked frequently (especially by the shrapnel police) and I have even pulled out scraps I've found in the trash! I shout "hey, that's Amy Butler"and  my kids giggle.  Well if I paid $8-17/yd I want to get every bit used out of that yard.  If I need to make a greeting card, or little gift and have the opportunity to use a 1"x1" scrap of some of my fav fabric from my fav designers then the whole project just became a designer piece, even if its background is drop cloth.  I have many examples of this in action here on my blog.  It's kind of like tossing the bacon grease for a chef, don't do it!

This example pretty much sums up what I'm trying to say, my friend made me this bunting...
spot any designer prints? I can name three off hand.

ok enough about the idea of scraps....what I am getting at is when I thought I would do this quilt with scraps, I had to define scraps.  The BOM2 quilt has JUMBO blocks that measure 24.5" each so the blocks pieces are 4.5" wide and run from 4.5"-16.5" so my "scraps" need to be pretty big, but this does not mean I have to buy alot of fabric, just be using my "large" scraps for this one.....that all being said I did not have enough Kona solid to finish even one block...hahaha no problem I have not purchased my 5 yards needed of background fabric to complete this quilt, so now I have a reason to get out there and buy it!
Here is where I had to stop, I was short the 4.5"x16.5" pieces to complete the block

I followed the instructions she gave in great detail about starching, cutting, and "scant 1/4" a little extra prep work but I like the results.  I plan on making each block in one colorway.



1 comment:

  1. I'm the same way with my scraps!
    BTW, thanks for the comment on my blog. I wanted to respond, but don't see your email address. Please email me and I'll be happy to talk etsy.

    ReplyDelete